Cytopathology possesses inherent diagnostic challenges in routine daily practice, compounded in recent years by numerous developments. Novel entities have been described, molecular alterations have been discovered, and multiple major shifts in diagnostic classification schemes have been introduced. It is difficult for pathologists to stay current and maintain proficiency in cytopathology without supplemental training and education.
There is growing demand and expectation by clinicians for pathologists to provide contemporary cytology services in this era of precision medicine, emphasizing cytopathology’s critical role as adjunct to targeted therapies. Accurate diagnosis is paramount to the initiation of appropriate treatment and depends on specific skills, clinical knowledge, awareness of the broad cytomorphologic range and overlap of lesions that may be encountered, and familiarity with ancillary tests.
This course is pragmatic, clinically oriented and stimulating. The selected cases are associated with potential diagnostic challenges and risks in day-to-day practice. Four experts provide an intimate mentoring experience in a superb learning environment that reflects USCAP’s educational standards.
Practicing academic and community pathologists, and pathologists-in-training
Upon completion of this educational activity, learners will be able to:
- Become competent in diagnosing common and uncommon lesions in aspiration and exfoliative cytology
- Establish an algorithmic diagnostic approach to challenging cases including tumors of unknown origin
- Learn about the recent developments in cytology reporting systems and how to apply them in practice
- Learn when to integrate clinical findings and ancillary tests in order to deliver a more precise cytologic diagnosis
– Urine and Kidney Cytopathology – Eva M. Wojcik, MD
– Serous Fluid Cytopathology – Eva M. Wojcik, MD
– Pancreas, Biliary Tract Cytopathology – Momin T. Siddiqui, MD
– Liver Cytopathology – Momin T. Siddiqui, MD
– Lung, and Mediastinum Cytopathology – Liron Pantanowitz, MD
– Soft Tissue Cytopathology – Liron Pantanowitz, MD
– Thyroid Cytopathology – Zahra Maleki, MD
– Head and Neck Cytopathology Including Salivary Gland, HPV Related Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Other Lesions – Zahra Maleki, MD
Release Date : October 14, 2021
Access to this course expires on: September 18, 2024